Friday, April 19, 2013

Developing Sideways in a Linear Timeline

You remember that show "Lost"? Remember when they started doing "Flash-sideways" instead of "Flashbacks"? I don't. I stopped watching it by then. But I heard it was pretty cool.

Facebook just changed their layout A.GAIN. Suddenly, Notes came back. You know - those things that you were always tagged in if you had Facebook[-obsessed-friends] 5 years ago.

I kinda thought they went away, or were buried in the internet's gaping blackhole belly, retrievable only via virtual-bungee-cord-apparatus, and it just wasn't worth the effort to find out what "My Life in Beatles Songs" was at age 19.

Then suddenly, BAM! There are my old Notes, hanging out on my sidebar. And my first one up there is from 2 years ago. It's one of those questionnaires, those "100 Truths" things that you copy-paste and then answer, tagging all your friends whose answers you want to see (and who are about to see yours).

I just reread my answers. It's weird. But not because I've changed in the way I might have expected. If I filled it out today, 95+ answers would be the same, or along the same lines. But would I say it the same way?

There's something self-awarely-clever about some of the answers, like I'm totally relaxed, despite having (apparently) just spent the night in a hotel after a canceled flight. A flippancy that now feels foreign and makes me feel exhausted by contrast.

Here are my honest-to-goodness copy-and-pasted answers for 95-100. Ladies and Gentlemen, 2010 Me:

ANSWER TRUTHFULLY:
94. Had more than 1 girlfriend/boyfriend at a time: Noooo

95. Did you sing today: Yeah… well I was singing 20 Dollar Nosebleed and I thought it was New Perspective.

96. Do you miss anyone: Yeah but it’s always lower when I know I’ll see people I miss really soon, and a lot of them I will.

97. If you could go back in time, how far would you go: Depends when I would be able to do this, and if I’d change anything.

98. The moment you would choose to re-live: Hm something indescribable so I can describe it.

99. Are you afraid of falling in love: Not too much…I’m not afraid of something I doubt will happen anytime soon.

100. Are you afraid of posting this as 100 truths: NO! I’M THRILLED I’M DONE WITH THIS! 


I mean, yeah. That sounds like me. It sounds like me when I'm at my best during the summer, when I don't have to think about anything for months. It sounds like me joking around with my best friends (many of whom I have not seen in a year now).

I guess I just have a lot more to worry about now.

And the truth is, the difference between then and now is this: Then, I would fill out one of these questionnaires. Now, I wouldn't.

Or...

I guess it's hard to say for sure. Maybe I would fill one out if all my friends were doing it, and maybe I would be snarky as ever. Anyone want to ask me 100 poorly-written "questions"? :P

How about you? Did you fill out these things? Have you rediscovered some old "notes" or things you've written that you thought were buried far away?

~Tome~

No comments:

Post a Comment